Medium: Oil on Canvas
Crystal Beshara is an international, multi- award winning contemporary realist painter living in Eastern Ontario. In Ottawa she is represented by Wall Space Gallery, Skwirl Gallery in Bayfield ON and in Meaford ON by Craig Gallery.
She has been drawing and painting since childhood inspired by her rural upbringing in Eastern Ontario, Canada. Crystal moves easily between watercolour, oil and dry media. Her work is recognizable with it’s rich, earth toned palette and emotionally charged, rural narrative. She spent years as a child observing and quietly illustrating the life around her which has informed the accuracy of her anatomy in both her flora and fauna subject matter as well as her ability to capture expression and emotion in her portraits.
She holds a BFA in Studio and a Botanical Illustration diploma from the Society of Botanical Artists (UK). She has been featured in Fine Art Connoisseur and International Artist Magazine , CBC radio , CTV television and more. Crystal is also a regularly invited Juror & Arts Educator and offers painting workshops abroad (Santa Fe, Greece, Wyoming, Newfoundland, France, England and Mexico).
“My upbringing greatly influenced my lens on the world. I use my artwork as an outlet for contemplative exploration of deeper concepts reflecting on how I and we, as humans, relate to an ever-changing landscape and environment. Painting rural subject matter for me is both a cathartic and documentative means to record a way of life that is slowly disappearing. It serves as a history of the homesteads, the people, animals and agriculture of this land.”
For more information or to contact this artist for a commission, please contact [email protected].
Awards & Grants
- “Peoples Choice” WINNER in OIL 2020, McMichael Plein Air Competition
- “Peoples Choice” WINNER in WATERCOLOUR 2020, McMichael Plein Air Competition
- 2020, Shortlisted for the 2020 McMichael Plein Air Competition
- Juried into the 2020 AIRE (Federation of Canadian Artists)
- 2019 Frances Trachok Memorial Award of Excellence
Lean on Me, oil on canvas, 24″ x 24″ (AWA “Looking West” Show at the Steamboat Art Museum, Colorado)
- 2018 First in Watercolour for “These Boots” SKB Rendezvous, Dubois Wyoming
- 2011 Ontario Arts Council Travel Bursary
- 2011 Elizabeth Greenshields Foundation Bursary (For Artists in Realism)
- 2010 Elizabeth Greenshields Foundation Bursary (For Artists in Realism)
- 2007 Nominated as Ottawa’s top 3 emerging Artists OSA awards
- 2006 Nepean Fine Arts League First Prize Excellence award and Trophy, “Isaiah” watercolour
- 2006 Nepean Fine Arts League First Prize Jurors Choice, “Isaiah” watercolour
- 2006 Nepean Fine Arts League Members Choice, “Isaiah” watercolour
- March 2005 Ontario Arts Council, Exhibition Assistance
- 1997 Youngest elected member of the OWS (Ottawa Watercolour Society)